Your brand messaging could persuade someone to buy or it could turn them off. As a solopreneur, it’s important that you communicate your brand values in a way that attracts and retains people.
In this blog, we’ll go through common mistakes you’re making with your brand message that is repelling your audience.
But first things first, what is brand messaging?
Brand messaging is the way your brand communicates its unique value proposition and personality through its verbal and nonverbal messaging. Your messaging can inspire and motivate them, making them want to buy your product. It’s how your consumers can have a relationship with your brand.- Hubspot
The mistakes to avoid with your brand messaging;
1. You don’t have a clue what your brand message is:
One of the biggest mistakes you can make with your brand message is not defining it in the first place.
Without a clearly defined message, it’s difficult for your audience to know clearly how your brand benefits them.
However, before crafting your brand message, you first need a brand identity. Here are a few questions to help you get started;
- What are your brand values?
Consistency: I show up for my audience
Quality: I do what I do well
- How do you want your audience to feel when they interact with your brand?
- What is your brand personality?
2. Being too vague:
Another mistake a lot of creators make is being vague with their brand message.
An unclear brand message confuses your audience. It makes them misinterpret and misunderstand your brand.
Here are a few tips to make your brand message clearer;
- Define your target audience: Understand who your ideal customer is, what their needs are, and what motivates them. This will help you tailor your messaging to appeal to them.
- Develop a brand voice: Your brand voice should be consistent across all communication channels and reflect your brand’s personality and values.
- Establish your unique selling point (USP): Clearly communicate what sets your brand apart from the competition. This will help you to stand out in the market and make a strong impression on your target audience.
4. Not staying consistent:
Inconsistency in your brand message can confuse your audience and make it difficult for them to understand what your brand stands for.
This can lead to a lack of trust and credibility in your brand.
Staying consistent with your brand voice is important in building a recognizable brand.
How to stay consistent with your brand message
- Use a style guide: A style guide will provide guidelines for how to write and format your content in a consistent way. This will help to ensure that your messaging is consistent across all channels and platforms.
- Review your content: Regularly review your content to ensure that it aligns with your brand voice guide. Make any necessary revisions to ensure consistency.
5. Not tailoring your message to your target audience:
Failing to tailor your brand message to your target audience can result in a message that doesn’t resonate with them.
This can lead to a lack of engagement and a failure to reach your desired audience.
A few ways to tailor your message to your target audience;
- Understand your audience: Research their demographics, interests, and pain points to tailor your message to their specific needs and concerns.
- Use appropriate language: Use language and terminology that is familiar to your audience to make your message more relatable and easier to understand.
- Appeal to emotions: Use storytelling, humour, or other emotional appeals to connect with your audience and make your message more memorable.
- Use multimedia: Incorporate images, videos, or other forms of multimedia to make your message more engaging and visually appealing.
- Personalize the message: Use the recipient’s name, or other personal information to make the message more relevant and personalized to the individual.
- Test your message: Try out your message on a small group of people similar to your target audience before sending it to the whole group to get feedback and make adjustments as necessary.
6. Not updating your message over time:
Your brand message should not be set in stone. As your brand evolves and grows, your message should evolve as well.
If you don’t update your message, it may become irrelevant and fail to resonate with your audience.
Brand messaging is important because it helps communicate the unique value and identity of a brand to its target audience.
It helps establish the brand’s reputation and sets it apart from competitors. A consistent and effective brand message can help build trust and loyalty among customers, and ultimately drive sales and business growth.
Additionally, brand messaging can help create a clear and compelling brand story, which can be used to engage and inspire customers, employees and other stakeholders. In short, brand messaging helps establish a strong and differentiated brand identity that can drive business success.