I would love to sit here and tell you that being a solopreneur is a walk in the park. It’s not. It takes a lot to succeed as a solopreneur. Mainly because you are THE team.
Even so, becoming a super productive solopreneur can help bridge that gap.
Here are some of the lessons I learned that helped me become a super productive solopreneur.
1) Simplify Everything
How do I even begin? As a very new solopreneur, I took such a long time to make decisions. I wanted everything to be fancy. From the colors to the layout of my website.
I spent hours on end on Canva, Pinterest, and my website trying to find ways to make it beautiful. Ugh! The time I wasted.
I took 3 months to decide on a color pallet and I made everything in my business about my feelings.
The decision-making process became too long and I wasn’t getting anywhere.
Solopreneurship is about taking action and getting things done aka being super productive.
For all this to happen, you need to make everything simple. This is not only the key to success but also to happiness.
A few things I simplified that made my solopreneurship journey a fulfilling experience:
- I got me an article, podcast and YouTube video template
- I decided on a color-pallet and I stuck with it
- Decide on the platforms I need to be on, for me it’s Pinterest and not Instagram
- I decided on the number of things I need to do weekly to make my biz a success
- Listen to 1-2 coaches because people will confuse you
- Simplified my message to my clients (What I offer, how I simplify their lives and how they pay)
2) Learn something every day
As a solopreneur, one of the things I do to set myself apart is learning something every day. I dedicate about 2 hours every morning to learn something in my area of work.
This process makes me a productive solopreneur because let’s face it, I don’t have a team. It’s just me.
Taking classes helps sharpen my skills and cuts the time taken to do some things in half. Plus, even though I’m solo, I’m always aware of any market changes or new trends my customers would appreciate.
My advice: Always stay ahead of the curve by learning daily.
3) Make your day predictable
I make it clear what I want to achieve by the end of the week. Thus, every morning, I write daily goals in reference to my weekly goals.
This little process makes my day super focused and predictable. During the day, I steer away from any bad habits and focus on accomplishing the set goals.
Plus, smashing my daily goals lets me know that I’m getting closer to achieving my ultimate goals.
At the end of the day, I can always assess and see what got done and what didn’t.
This is hands down one of my best productivity tips for any solopreneur.
Tools I use to make this a success
- Notion desktop
- Any Pomodoro App
Typical weekly goals for a productive solopreneur
- Write 3 articles
- Record 2 Podcasts
- Record 1 youtube video
- 10 Sales Calls
- Set aside time for each of those goals
- Use the Pomodoro app. I work for 50mins and take a 10min break (You could work for 25 and take a 5mins break. It’s whatever you like.)
- Wake up 2 hours earlier to get some of those things sorted out. I wake up at 4:40 am daily and it helps TREMENDOUSLY.
4) Keep your business to your damn self
A few weeks ago, I went to IG and announced that I was going to be consistent in posting for 100days. Haha!
3 days later, I changed my mind because I realized that creating content for IG is a waste of time for my biz.
Unfortunately, there were people there who were rooting for me to post the 100 posts. That created a lot of pressure because I wanted to be the girl that means what she says.
Had I followed through with that plan though, I would’ve wasted a lot of time in the name of being consistent.
You don’t want to keep up with promises that you no longer believe in for online folk. So, keep your business to your damn self. If you want to do something, go ahead and do it.
- Keep your biz to yourself
- Lead with action and do not announce it
- Don’t run fast in the wrong direction in the name of consistency
As a solopreneur, there are so many things we want to do and often, we can get trapped into wanting to do everything.
But soon, you realize what a complete waste of time it is to attempt to do everything. Hence the need to focus on one or two things at a time.
Focusing on a few things at a time gets you there faster in my experience. It also reduces burnouts and makes you a super productive solopreneur.
It’s tempting to focus on a lot because of the notion that you’ll get there faster but that’s a big fat lie.
You may want to focus on YouTube for the next 6 months. It may seem like a small thing but it may make a BIGGER impact than trying to focus on a BILLION things.
6) Social Media is hard and we’ve got to be savvy
For a solopreneur that has no time whatsoever, creating content can be one hell of a task. One thing I’ve learned to boost productivity is to focus on the main platforms. The searchable ones to be precise; like YouTube, your blog, and podcast.
From these three, you can repurpose content for the rest of the social channels.
An example of this is: Writing one article can produce a YouTube video and a podcast. The same article can also produce captions and graphics for social.
Blogging is a gift that keeps on giving.
I, for instance, stopped focusing on Instagram and Facebook altogether because of REPURPOSING.
7) Become a productive solopreneur by taking ACTION consistently
Boom! Do the work. Stop talking, stop visualizing and stop saying affirmations. Lead with action always.
Key Takeaways to becoming a super productive solopreneur
- Don’t complicate things, simplify everything. This will prevent burnout and save you loads of time.
- Learn something daily to stay ahead.
- Set SMART goals and SMASH them. As solopreneurs, we don’t have the time to waste on picking the perfect colors on canva.
- Learning how to prioritize can make or break you. So, focus on what’s relevant first.
- Content creation is a total pain hence the need to be savvy. The word you are looking for is; REPURPOSING. Do it as your biz depends on it.
What's Your Reaction?
Hey Babe, my name is Luwany; an introverted Soloprenuer. I run my own Marketing, Branding & Graphic design biz. I know those sound like a lot but I promise they are all related. I help other solopreneurs create habits and routines that help them achieve their goals. Visit me here when you need quick tips & positive vibes.